Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Feature of the Week: Shelley Chapman!

Shelley Chapman of Naturi Beauty Concepts LLC.



Peace Family,


It is a pleasure to introduce to you all Food Relationship Coach Ms. Shelley Chapman of Naturi Beauty Concepts LLC. I am follower of her blog and youtube channel where she encourages viewers and readers to develop healthy relationships with food. I'll let her explain more to you in her own words...

HoneyCee: For those who do not know, what is Naturi Beauty Concepts LLC. and what inspired you to start the company? 

Shelley Chapman: Naturi Beauty Concepts is a brand and lifestyle that promotes radiance through food and beauty.  I was inspired to start the company because I wanted to help women with their natural hair including myself.  The company has grown and my position has evolved from simply the woman who creates and sells the products to The Food Relationship Coach where I help individuals, namely women, redefine and recreate their relationship with food and beauty.

HoneyCee: I love your relationship with food and how you encourage others to maintain a healthy, satisfying relationship with food as well. Why is our relationship with food important?

Shelley Chapman: Food is not only a source of nutritional nourishment that our body uses as daily fuel, but it is also a source of connection and energy that helps us create the life we desire.  I know when I say that, I get the occasional Scooby Doo "urrrr?"  It's a different way of looking at it.  I noticed early on how a delicious meal causes people to sing, dance, tap their toes, clap their hand and what have you. We get excited over food.  I encourage people to explore where that feeling comes from and how they can transfer that feeling into their personal lives to create the relationships they want.  Not just their relationship with food, but the relationship with their partner, their career, their family, themselves, etc.

HoneyCee: You often talk about food and how it relates to the senses. What specific foods or herbs illicit a specific response from people and why?

Shelley Chapman: I started an event series called “Decadence!” to explore that very concept.  “Decadence!” takes ordinary ingredients and shows the varying uses that can make them extraordinary.  At each “Decadence!” event participants get to taste different dishes prepared with a specific ingredient and then later become a “Kitchen Chemist” and create a beauty product with the same ingredient. At the premiere “Decadence!” event in Atlanta we explored Chocolate.  Chocolate is the ultimate alchemical food.  It inspires our sensual nature and it literally links with our "bliss gene" in our bodies and puts us in a good feeling place.  That's why so many women crave it during their menstrual cycle.  At the D.C. “Decadence!” event we explored Honey, Rosemary and Ginger.  The ginger was uplifting and exhilarating while the honey felt relaxing and soothing.  It really is about people connecting with food and understanding how they can use the varying properties to benefit their lives as necessary.  There are two more upcoming “Decadence!” events on the calendar: December 4 in Atlanta and January 15 in New York.  We'll be exploring coconut and turmeric at the Atlanta event and details are forthcoming for the New York event.

HoneyCee: You make the most delicious meals, some of them I have tried myself, how do you come up with the recipes? 

Shelley Chapman: Most of my meals are intuited through my dining experiences in my travels.  We all have different memories of places we've visited, some remember the shopping, some remember the tourist highlights.....I remember the food!  I have this beautiful ability to taste a recipe, so when I order food that I like, I typically recreate it at home.  Other meals are a fusion of some of my favorite dishes.  I really love Thai Sticky Coconut Rice and Mango.  One problem though....I haven't quite mastered the Sticky Rice lol.  So I created a vegan version where I made Coconut Custard with Mango steamed in Banana Leaves....omg! It's so yummy! I have a video with that recipe coming very soon:)

HoneyCee: What is your favorite ingredient to cook with?

Shelley Chapman: This question always stumps me.  Especially when people ask what my favorite cuisine is.  I love ingredients so much it's hard to choose.  It's easier to tell you what I don't like.  I'm not the biggest fan of Asian inspired food (save Thai or Filipino) because it doesn't utilize tomatoes and cheese lol!  I do love rosemary, basil, mint and thyme.  The first three herbs give a kick to any meal and I love that, even though their little, they manage to boldly stand out and add their creative, powerful boost amongst other flavors in a dish.


HoneyCee: I know you have your own line of beauty products. What does the line consist of and what specific benefits can customers look forward to? 
Shelley Chapman: I discontinued the line in June.  When Naturi Beauty was conceptualized in 2004, I thought that it would solely be a resource for women with natural hair, thus I created a well received product line.  As the business began to expand, Naturi Beauty Concepts became an umbrella and a lifestyle, not just a product.  Just as anything in life, the business has its own identity and I'm in charge of nurturing it and making sure that the Brand continues to expand.  The focus lately has been showing women how to use food for beauty, consumption, sensuality and health through the “Decadence!” events and the online Naturi Beauty show. There are plans to revamp the actual product line in the future.

HoneyCee: What is your overall goal for Naturi Beauty Concepts LLC. Where would you like to see the company in 5-10 years? 

Shelley Chapman: Our goal at Naturi Beauty is to help individuals recreate their relationship with food and beauty and use it to nourish and nurture themselves and ultimately grow.  We are working on having our online show featured on major television networks around the world.  We are looking forward to our “Decadence!” workshops and Culinary Coaching classes going global starting next year.  We're also collaborating with other businesses to create retreat and conference experiences so that women can directly apply the Nourish. Nurture. Grow experience.  We're also authoring several books on food and its energetic appeal that will include loads of yummy recipes of course :)  We have a lot in store, some I can't reveal yet but please join us over at www.naturibeauty.com so that you can stay up to date.


HoneyCee:  Toss Up: What is your favorite song and why?
Shelley Chapman: Oh dear...again the favorite question stumps me every time....do I have to choose? LOL! Okay let's see, I'll choose one from my list of many.....ummmm I think I'll go with Adele's First Love.  It's beautifully delivered and it really speaks to the need to move on when it's time.  I apply it not only to love but just life situations.  It was really tough to close the product portion of Naturi Beauty, as that was the first love of the business, but it was time to focus, groom and grow other facets.  In this song, she really explores the emotional aspect of letting go and moving on.

HoneyCee: Where can HoneyCee.blogspot.com readers get more information from you?
Shelley Chapman: My virtual lounge is a good start www.naturibeauty.com and then you can hop over to my blog and check out my inner landscape at http://naturibeauty.com/blog and of course at Twitter, please do follow me www.twitter.com/naturibeauty and on FB, let's be friends Shelley Chapman and I'd love to have you join the FB Fan page Naturi Beauty as well.









No comments:

Post a Comment